64Copy Home: Latest version is 4.45
What is 64Copy?
64COPY is an all-purpose DOS and C64 emulator file manager, modelled after Norton Commander, and runs under the Windows DOS VDM (32-bit or lower), and in real DOS. The 64-bit editions of Windows have no DOS VDM, so you will need to install a DOS-like emulator like DOSBox. It specializes in converting and manipulating emulator files between various formats, as well as a very flexible 6502 disassembler. 64COPY does not do any communication to the 1541/71/81 floppy drives to read disks. If that is what you need, download Star Commander for that task.
Some of what 64COPY does includes:
- File conversion between D64 (all types, including the F64 variant), D71, D81, D80, D82, DNP, D2M, T64, G64, ZipCode (all types), PC64 (Pxx, Sxx, Uxx, Rxx), LNX, DOS binaries, ARC, CRT, SDA, X64, LBR, ARK, SPY and CPK files.
- A very powerful 6502 Disassembler
- TEXT, HEX and D64 HEX editors
- FILE viewer
- BASIC unlister
- D64, D71, D81, D80 & D82 directory customizer
- Check disks and T64, ZipCode, G64, F64 and CRT files for errors
- ROM image manipulation (splitting, resizing, conversion to EPROM burner formats)
- A whole lot more!
What's planned for an upcoming release?
- DFI image support (if necessary)
- Many FORMATS updates (will be released separately)
- Disassembler improvements
- Any reported bugs
- Too many other things on my TODO list, as time permits
64COPY has been my personal programming project since May of 1994. I started writing it when the German emulator C64Neu (later called PC64) was the only other viable C64 emulator to C64s, and I needed to be able to convert D64 images to the .P00 files that C64Neu worked with. It has expanded into what it is today, encompassing the newer formats as they came along along with many other features. I have also included some specialized tools (i.e. likely only to be used by me) into 64COPY like the WAV cleaner, HQX/UU decoding, file split/combine, string search... things that are unrelated to the emulation scene. At present, I am developing 64COPY using Open Watcom v1.9.
I find it hard to believe that I've spent so many years working on one program, but the emulation scene is a moving target... formats are constantly evolving and new ones still are on the way. Some of the more recent ones like TAP have a very specific use and won't likely be supported.
64COPY has almost taken on a life of its own and demands a lot of time in order to keep up with changes in the emulation scene and bug fixes. Being married, having a family and a house along with many other hobbies doesn't leave me much time to maintain 64COPY, but I will try!
If you wish to support the continued development of 64Copy by registering or simply donating, click on the DONATE button (to the left) to send money via PayPal or see the FAQ page for how to send something.
Email the author: Peter Schepers | Last updated: Mar 26, 2014